Care of the elderly
Today we want to talk about a topic that we think will be very useful for many families: caring for the elderly at home. Meeting the needs of a person in that stage of life is not easy. But not impossible.
We have compiled some tips that we hope will be useful, if you have an old person living at home.
- Establish a routine
We set schedules, both for routine activities such as bathing, meals or for other leisure activities. Following a daily routine helps the elderly to feel safe.
- Adapt the house to avoid risks
When we get older, our senses diminish, and we are more prone to falls. It is essential to make small modifications for example in the bathroom that becomes the most dangerous part for an older adult.
- Install a bar in the shower and place stickers and a non-slip mat on the floor and at the exit of the shower.
- Anticipate the problems
The elderly, at times, can be unpredictable, so caring for old people at home is not always an easy task. Some help tips:
- It is recommended that the person is always identified, especially if he has memory problems. If he suffers some kind of cognitive deterioration, remember to lock the door with a key.
- Keep a record of medications
An older person can consume a very high number of medications, so it is absolutely essential that we are the ones who take control of the doses and times indicated by the doctor.
- Make sure you follow a balanced diet
If we want our family member to enjoy good physical and mental health, it is essential to follow a healthy and balanced diet.
- Take care of his personal hygiene
If you have an elderly person at home, do not neglect his personal hygiene.
- Remind him to apply moisturizer or sunscreen, if he is going to be exposed to the sun.
- His oral health is important.
- Remind him from time to time to go to the bathroom, It may be violent at first, but surely he will thank you in the background.
- Motivate him physically and mentally
Listen to him, love him, motivate him to go for a walk or try to solve a crossword. We must try that he leads a life as active and healthy as possible.
- Be patient
Older people can be complicated, but treat them with patience, what they most want is to feel loved and listened to.
In Golden Steps you find attention and home care for the elderly, providing peace of mind to your family; we have a team with a great commitment, a lot of love and dedication.