How to be a good Pet Sitter
Choosing the right pet sitter is crucial to your pet’s well-being and safety (as well as the safety of your home), make sure of the qualities and experience of your pet sitter and discuss your expectations and your pet’s needs in detail, before leaving home.
These are the key points that seem fundamental to grant credibility to a pet sitter:
- Send photos and videos via WhatsApp: The person who leaves us his pet is worried and wondering if they will be taking good care of it. The fact that as caregivers we send photos and some video will make the client feel calmer and can enjoy his trip knowing that his dog is well.
- Keep in touch with the client: It is convenient that we talk to the owner to tell him that the dog is behaving well, and tell him if it eats well and his mood, and if it is following its routines. All this also affects the trust in you.
- Encourage good behaviors: Any caregiver should encourage good behaviors and avoid episodes like destroying the house or not stop barking. Unfortunately, many caregivers encourage the excitement of the dog and that leads to destruction and barking that could have been avoided perfectly.
- Supervise the dog: Keep in mind that we are taking care of a pet that is not ours. Therefore, our responsibility is to supervise it while it is in our house so that there are no problems like those commented above.
- Do not leave the dog alone: If you take care of a dog or any other pet you should not leave it at home and go to work. We focus on the ethical part. The client does not pay you to leave the dog alone for many hours without supervision, he pays you to take care of him. If you think you should charge more, do it, but be a responsible caregiver.
- Do not let the dog out on the street: Since it is not yours and you know it will not answer the call, just never let it go. Doing this is a clear start to being a lousy professional.
There are companies, such as Trusty Amigos, that are dedicated to establishing a meeting point between the caregiver of dogs and pet owners who want someone to stay with their most special friend.